Home > About Us > Our Identity

Our Identity

Our History

Nam San School was founded on 2nd February 1946, with students housed in three separate locations: temple, wayang stage and warehouse. Under the first principal Mr. Kua Chu Yan, the student population was a mere 157.

In June 1946, Mr Ong Koh Bee, a community leader, initiated a fund-raising project to build a school. Villagers contributed generously towards the fund. Eventually $13,000 was raised, together with a donation of 1.75 acres of land. By 27th March 1947, the building for Nam San School was built at 12 miles Choa Chu Kang Road. The building had only 5 classrooms.

1948 saw the first batch of 12 students completing their Primary School Education. The next two years saw an increase in enrolment, with the number of classrooms expanding to 7. The School Management Committee (SMC) was formed in 1954, with Mr. Ong Koh Bee as its first Chairman. Over the next four years, the school building expanded and facilities upgraded to cater to a growing student enrolment. By late 1960s, a Nam San Branch School was founded and the total student population for Main/Branch Schools grew to 1087.

After serving as Principal for over 25 years, Mr. Kua retired in 1971. He was succeeded by Mr. Chan Cheok Lock. By 1975, another fund-raising project was launched to build a bigger school. Under the leadership of Mr. Ng Chung Hung, $600,000 was raised. With the money, the Main School was demolished in order to build a new 3-storey building. This was completed in 1977. By then, the classrooms had increased to 20.

As Nam San School moved into the 1980s, Mr. Ang Chian Poh succeeded as the new Chairman of the SMC, replacing Mr. Ong Koh Bee.

Ama Keng School came into being in September 1951. Its first building was 3 single-storey blocks with 14 classrooms. The school functioned with 53 pupils.

Over the next 12 years, the enrolment increased ten-fold to over 570. Between 1965-1973, student population again doubled. As such, an expansion program was launched. The result was a 4 storey-block of 12 classrooms and a hall-cum-canteen in 1973. This $300,000 building was officially declared open by Member of Parliament (Choa Chu Kang) Mr. Tang See Chim on 23rd June 1973.

During the 1970s, Ama Keng School also became an integrated school and a Chinese-medium class was started. But by the 1980s, Chinese medium classes were phased out.

In March 1990, Nam San School and Ama Keng School merged and formed South View Primary School and moved to its present site at 6 Choa Chu Kang Central. 


Our Principals

From To Name of principal
1990 1997 Mr Thomas Yeo Chin Hee
1998 2004 Mdm Jackie Kok Chow Hiong
2005 2013 Mrs Jenny Yeo Bee Geok
2014 2021 Mdm Sharida Batcha Sahib
2021PresentMs Ang Mui Khoong









School Crest


svcrest.gif
The logo, a diamond formed by the initials "S" and "V" for South View, is a symbol of quality education. Blue symbolises an unpolished diamond. Yellow represents the shine and glitter of a polished diamond. A child who first enters school is like an unpolished diamond. By the time he leaves school, learning has polished him that he shines with aspiration and knowledge.

School Song


March forward, South View Primary
In strength and unity
Let's have a vision for tomorrow
Let's care and share with others
Be proud of our dear school
Keep our school flag flying high
Let us treasure our school days
Excel in all we do

Our future will be brighter
If we strive for excellence
Be loyal to our family
Not forgetting school and nation
Be proud of our dear school
Keep our school flag flying high
Let us treasure our school days
Excel in all we do


Lyrics by Thomas Yeo Chin Hee
Music by JJ de Souza


SOUTHVIENS Creed


We, the pupils of South View Primary School, pledge to...

Always be STEADFAST in everything that we do,
and remain OPTIMISTIC of our future.
Always exhibit UNITY as a community,
and have TENACITY in the face of any adversity.
Display HUMILITY,
and be VIRTUOUS in our daily lives.
Aim to be INSPIRING through our actions,
and have EMPATHY towards the plight of others.
Our NOBILITY is clearly seen by all,
and with SINCERITY we serve with heart and mind.


Written by Muhammad Khairi Uda and Sharida Batcha Sahib